Living Self-Care: Our Bodies
The first step in practicing self-care is making our health and well-being a priority. To start, make certain that your body is well-nourished and well-rested to supply you with energy needed for daily living.
Body Basics for physical health and vitality:
- Nutrition. Eat at regular intervals to keep your body fueled. Substitute more frequent healthy snacks if there isn’t time for a full meal. Consume food mindfully for optimal nourishment without distractions like TV, cell-phones, etc. Eat healthy 75% of the time.
- Sleep. Research shows that adults need 8-9 hours of sleep a night to stay sharp mentally and maintain strong immunity. It is equally important to make time before bed to quiet your mind rather than working until your head hits the pillow. Lack of restful sleep intensifies many physical and emotional health conditions.
- Physical Activity. Recent studies indicate there are many successful ways to achieve this. Depending on preference, you can exercise 15-20 minutes daily or for an hour 3-4 times a week. A combination of cardio, strength, and flexibility is best but any movement is better than none.
- Rest. Take breaks. Periods of activity/energy expenditure require periods of recuperation. Our bodies aren’t designed to run full-tilt 24/7.
- Stress. Be aware of physical signs of stress: muscle tension, headaches, and GI symptoms. If these occur, do something restorative-nap, workout, read, jounal, or whatever soothes you. Prevent stress from compromising and ultimately ruining your health before symptoms get worse.
Visit our contest and challenge champion pages.